A recent article in the Sydney Morning Herald, highlights the danger of blow up paddling pools and the fact that many parents and homeowners do not realise they are breaking the law by not fencing a portable pool that has more than 30cm of water must be surrounded by a fence that is 1.2 metres high and fitted with a self-latching gate.
It only takes seconds for a child to drown in shallow or deep water, parents need to be vigilant at all times and ensure the safety of children.
- Not all trades need to be licensed so this can certainly affect the quality of work. The solution here is to make all tradesmen licensed in their respective industry.
- We say this over and over again. Get a contract for all work done on a property and explain to the tradesman that no contract = no payment. At Housesafe Training and Education we believe that if all contracts were registered at a central source, this would make life easier for both the contractor and the property owner. In the event a contract goes into dispute then fees should be charged to resolve the dispute 50/50 to each party, regardless who is at fault.
- There are not enough Government guidelines.
- There is insufficient benchmarking in workmanship.
- Tradesmen are taking shortcuts due to low rates of pay, yet the owners of large building companies gain most of the profits.
- Lack of communication between the tradesman and the property owner.
- Both parties are not following the five elements of Contract Law.
- Not putting quotes and conversations in writing.
- Leaving unfinished work to start another job.
- Deceitfulness is ripe in this current market and in some case it comes from both parties, meaning the contractor is not truthful about when a project is to be completed and the homeowners are not truthful about where the funds are coming from.
For more information on building disputes visit Fair Trading NSW
WHAT IS HOUSESAFE?
Housesafe Inspection Training is a professional industry organisation that exists to equip and educate Australia's property inspectors. We're passionate about improving the quality of pest & building inspections across the nation.
Director and head trainer Howard Ryan is a member of the following organisations:
- Institute of Building Consultants NSW
- The Australian Society of Building Consultants (ASBC), VIC
- Building Dispute Practitioners Society (BDPS), VIC